Apr 242016
 

One of my cli­ent web­sites sud­denly star­ted giv­ing an error: Error estab­lish­ing a data­base con­nec­tion. When I went to the /wp-admin URL, the error was still there.

This par­tic­u­lar web­site is on shared host­ing, so I logged into the CPan­el and checked the data­base was still there. Then I checked the data­base and found some issues with some of the tables.

[site.wp_links] error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE `wp_links`" or dump/reload to fix it!
[site.wp_options] error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE `wp_options`" or dump/reload to fix it!
[site.wp_postmeta] status: OK
[site.wp_posts] status: OK
[site.wp_term_relationships] status: OK
[site.wp_term_taxonomy] error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE `wp_term_taxonomy`" or dump/reload to fix it!
[site.wp_terms] status: OK
[site.wp_usermeta] error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE `wp_usermeta`" or dump/reload to fix it!
[site.wp_users] error: Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE `wp_users`" or dump/reload to fix it!

Run­ning those SQL quer­ies on the appro­pri­ate data­base in phpMy­Ad­min fixed the prob­lem. I don’t know wheth­er the host­ing com­pany upgraded the data­base, or some­thing happened with the auto­mat­ic Word­Press upgrade sys­tem, or if some­thing else caused the prob­lem.

[Update] There were a bunch of oth­er errors that cropped up after­wards with the White Screen of Death; I had to call the host­ing com­pany to sort out the server-side errors caus­ing those. It’s pos­sible those errors were the ori­gin­al cause of the data­base prob­lems, whatever they were.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)